Water Shortages and Flooding on the Kennet and Avon Canal.
Canal Experience update.
There are no water shortages at the moment. The water tables are high so flooding may occur after heavy rainfall.
Please use locks considerately:
Canal Experience, the Canal and River Trust (formerly British Waterways) and our fellow hire boat companies along the Kennet and Avon continue to promote best boating practice promoting careful management of our water resources.
These simple measures are agreed with the Kennet and Avon Traders Association and CRT and apply to all canal users, hire boaters and private leisure boaters alike. We’d appreciate your co-operation:
• Wait for boats coming in the opposite direction to enter the lock before you fill or empty it to gain access for your own boat.
• Please share locks. If this means waiting for a boat to join you, please consider this.
• Please make sure paddles and gates are properly shut to conserve water where appropriate – which applies the majority of locks (some locks eg turf locks, you are directed to leave empty).
• Please take care never to hit lock gates with your boat. This causes damage and leaks.
• Please reduce speed if you are creating a wake or you hear lapping on the banks