It was at Bradford and Avon where work on the canal originally startedwith the first sod being cut in 1794 just outside the Canal Tavern.
Somerset Coal Canalformerly known this was an economically important connection with the K&A. Coal was brought from Paulton and Radstock transported via the K&A and onwards via the Wilts and Berks Canal to the Thames. A small section of the Wilts and Berks has been restored by the K&A trust but the campaign continues to restore it in full.
The connection was at the western end of the Dundas Aqueduct: in te the Brassknocker Basin. It was on that Wharf that tolls were levied and paid. The original tollhouse and cast iron crane are being gradually restored and looked after by the K&A Trust.